‘My riling cough turned out to be lung cancer’

Ive always been a pretty healthy person. I scarcely ever got sickmaybe once a year or so. Thats why it was so noticeable when I had this coughing that went on for months. I was 28 and I didnt actually know what I hadit wasnt actually a cold, and it never fully developed into anything. I used to suffer from asthma, but it wasn’t a big deal, so I thought I just had sensitive lungs.

My symptoms started to become really noticeable in early 2015. It was little things here and thereI would bend down and to pick something up, and Id get dizzy when I stood up. Or Id have a coughing after running up the stairs or to catch the bus. And then it got worse when I came down with a fever. I started monitoring my temperature and realise it would never fully is down. It never went below 99 degrees and would get as high as 104. I had a low-grade fever at all hours, and on days it got actually high, I had to start taking time off work.

I basically ran an entire month running a constant fever. The coughing started to get a little more constant, too, and it became deeper. By March, I started getting a ache in my side from the cough. My chest never sounded or felt congestedthere was never any discharge, either, so it was what people call a dry cough. But once I started getting a ache in my left side, around the rib or waist, from the cough, I said Id wait one more week to see if it turned into a full-blown influenza or I might have some kind of walking pneumonia.

By the end of that week, I developed a new ache right underneath my clavicle. It would work itself toward my shoulder, and I knew I needed to see a doctor. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency-care clinic in my neighborhood so they could listen to my lungs, and the doctor said he didnt hear anything concerning but wanted to do an X-ray just for peace of mind. He did the X-ray, and when he came back, he told me he saw something in my lungs. He said it could be an inflamed lymph node but that it was pretty big.


That doctor sent me to a different center to get a CT scan with contrast so we could figure out “whats going on”. As soon as I got home from the scan, the technician from the centre for human rights called and asked me to come into the ER right away. Apparently they were able to see the mass but couldnt see its exact place or what it was wrapped around. To them, it looked like it might be wrapped around my heart, so they were afraid I could have a heart attack at any moment.

They told me all of this over the phone. In seconds, I went from required to be do laundry and homework to thinking I was going to have a heart attack. It wholly shattered my world. I was already worried about having something going on in my lungs, and now it was much more than an inflamed lymph node.


I rushed to the ER near my house and had a CT scan without contrast. Eight hours later, the doctors calmed my nerves: They said the mass was inside my lung , not touching my heart. But it was still a fairly big mass, measuring 5 centimeters in diameter and basically taking over my entire lower lobe of my left lung.

I was referred to a surgeon who would be able to test the mass for cancer and got an appointment with him for the following day. He began operating tests, including a bronchoscopy, where my doctor could look at my airway through a tiny camera. As soon as I was coming out of anesthesia, he told me it was cancerous. He tried to tell me to wait and just relax as I came out of the procedure, but I wanted him to tell me right awayI needed to know.

He told me everything would be okay and that we would take care of it. I liked that he was so straightforward with me and my family. He told me “hes having” treated patients who were worse, who had bigger mass, and who were further along, and that everything was okay in those situationsso I should just let him get to work. He wanted to remove the mass as soon as possible so it wouldnt progress further or get wrapped around an artery. He officially diagnosed me with cancer on April 4I had an atypical carcinoid tumorand had me on the operating room table on April 24.

The good news was that, as far as cancers go, mine was kind of good in that it wouldn’t spread as fast. But, of course, with cancer there are a lot of unknowns, like what caused it. Medical doctors estimated that Id had it in my body for four or five yearsor more. My body had been fighting it for a long time. All that coughing, those signs of sicknessthat was because the lower lobe of my lung was fitted with liquid, and my body was trying to fight it. The doctor told me I was barely employing my left lung and that he didnt know how I was doing everything I was doing.


In order to fully remove the cancer, medical doctors made a five-inch incision and violated one of my rib, but it was successful. I didnt have to undergo an extra therapy like chemotherapy. I was on antibiotics after the surgery, but that was itso I consider myself very lucky.

I came home after a week in the hospital, and the recovery ran great. I was walking around the third day after surgery, too. But it wasn’t merely a physical thing. I had a big mental battle to fighting, too. I was afraid to do stuff for a long time. But a month after surgery, my husband and I decided to go on a cruise. We had been so stressed throughout this ordeal, and we said, We deserve this! We didnt go crazy on the tripwe said wed just go to the spa and sleep the working day if it is imperative to. But we ran and had a great time, and I even did an obstacle course on the cruise without any pain.

Now, Im doing quite well. On rainy days, I have some persisting pain from that broken rib, but its not a debilitating ache. Before the surgery, I was only utilizing 50 percent of my lungs capacity. Now, Im at 75 percentand thats after having almost half a lung removed! So thats pretty good. I dont have to use any oxygen, and I can walk fast, run, or do whatever I want, whenever I want. Its great.

It wasnt until after my surgery that I learned that lung cancer is the number one cancer killer in girls, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. I’m glad I didnt know that before surgery or I wouldve been much more freaked out. But its important for people to know that so that they are able to monitor their bodies and get checked.


I tell women that if they have the slightest doubts, go get screened for lung cancer. I never smoked, I was young, and I was resulting a reasonably healthy life, and it still happened to me. Thats why Ive joined efforts to raise awareness with LUNG FORCE. I want people to know that they should listen to their bodies truly listenand always see a doctor if something doesnt feel right.

Read more: www.foxnews.com

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *