Thomas Markle reportedly having surgery on Wednesday, ruling him out of flying to UK in time
Meghan Markle’s father has changed his mind and now wants to attend the royal wedding, according to reports, but uncertainty remains over whether he will be fit enough to go.
Kensington Palace was said to be ” blindsided” on Monday after the US celebrity website TMZ claimed that Thomas Markle Sr would not be attending his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry because he was embarrassed about colluding with a photo agency over “staged” pictures of himself. But the 73 -year-old has now had a rethink after his daughter managed to contact him by text, the website reported.
However, TMZ reported late on Tuesday that he would be undergoing surgery on Wednesday, apparently ruling out a journey to Britain. It quoted him saying that physicians would be inserting a stent and clearing a blockage following chest pain and an apparent heart attack. There has been no official confirmation.
Meghan Markle is said to have tried to call the retired TV lighting director after the news transgres on Monday that he was pulling out of the wedding, but “hes not” near his telephone.” She followed up with a text telling him she loved him and was concerned about his health ,” TMZ said.” He says she harbours no ill feelings toward him for making a deal with a paparazzi agency to stage photos of him getting ready for the bridal .”
Markle Sr reportedly told the website he believed he had not perpetrated a serious transgression over the photographs, though he called his behaviour “stupid”. He now wished to travel to the UK, he said.
His daughter is understood to be very concerned for his wellbeing. Both she and Harry issued a statement on Monday calling for “understanding and respect” towards her father and for him to be allowed space. Mr Markle is believed to feel under immense pressure and to be finding the situation difficult to cope with.
As preparations for the wedding enter the final few days, his welfare is said to be paramount to the couple, while any impact on the ceremony is seen as secondary.
Mr Markle’s decision to collude with the photo agency was taken while under huge pressure, and it is understood that the couple believe it was merely a reaction to that pressure.
Both of Markle’s mothers have been continuously offered security advice and help by Kensington Palace officials since news of her relationship with Harry first transgres, it is understood.
Until late last year, Markle Sr received little attention because very few people knew his address in Mexico. Once that became public, the attention is said to have become intolerable.
Markle’s estranged half-sister has blamed” atrocious and intrusive” media attention for imperil his health. Samantha Markle, 53, told ITV’s Good Morning Britain:” He was living a very quiet peaceful life , not as a hermit. He’s a very intelligent man. He’s been gregarious and worked in entertainment for 40 years .”
She described him as being “stressed out” by paparazzi renting the house next to his beachside home in Rosarito, Mexico, and that he could not open his blinds or go anywhere without being followed. He had called her,” panicking on the superhighway because he’s in a dangerous situation being followed by seven or eight vehicles”, she claimed.” Really it’s quite atrocious and intrusive and I think it’s highly unethical .”
Meanwhile, the uncertainty means palace officials will be inducing contingency plans for Saturday’s ceremony. One potential could be that the bride’s mother, Doria Ragland, 61, strolls her down the aisle if her parent cannot make it.
Ragland, a yoga teacher and social worker, is already due to travel in the bridal auto. Though unusual, it would not set a royal precedent. Queen Victoria accompanied two of her daughters to the altar after the death of Prince Albert.
Read more: www.theguardian.com