1. About a year after I graduated high school a local girl a couple years younger than me went missing. Turns out her boyfriend killed her for trying to break up with him and he buried her in his grandmother’s garden.
2. The ghost of the first clergyman of our local church was shooting and killed by an arrow a( really long time ago) on his doorstep. He was interred where he fell and- until the church burnt down like 30 decades ago- was insured commonly around the church on bridals, funerals and christenings held at the church.
3. There is a convicted cannibal in our township. Seriously. He killed his friend while drunk, then feed his jaw.
4. Guidance counselor stalked a student and tried to break into their home when they knew the student was home alone. Jail.
5. There’s a religious cult that induces up approximately 50% of the population of my township (~ 1200 people ). Low-key some things have occurred. Excommunication is one of their primary methods of dealing with people who don’t follow their “laws”.
6. We had a daddy who killed his wife and kids and then himself. The home was on the way to one of the big schools so everyone ran past the police tape in the morning( and again in the afternoon ). Wondered if they’d ever manage to sell it since anyone in town could tell you why it was for sale. Objective up selling it to someone who opened one of those Ayurveda/ holistic practice kind things in there, which always seems somewhat ironic to me.
7. A daughter hid her entire pregnancy, all while having her boyfriend at the time try to literally beat her into a miscarriage. She eventually gave birth in her bathroom, hid the baby in her closet then ran and had dinner with her mama like nothing happened. She aimed up killing the baby, putting it in a duffel bag with a bunch of stones and throwing it in a quarry.
8. Some lawyer’s spouse went missing, there was a big search effort to find her including air force airplanes flying over the surrounding timbers to find recently disturbed ground( indicating a possible burial ). They couldn’t find her for days until finally a neighbor went to the media to point out the lawyer had remodeled the sitting area in his garden recently including pouring himself a nice big concrete slab right outside his back door the day before he reported his wife missing. Sure enough, they excavate up that area and observed her body. What was really stupid is the neighbor told this information to the police as soon as he heard the wife was missing, then again two days later, and they did nothing with it until he went to the press.
9. 5 students and a educator killed himself all within a week of each other. The youngest was 8 years old. All instances were unrelated and slayings and suicides are very common in my town so our 5,000+ population keeps dropping.
10. Students were not supposed to leave campus for lunch. Some students were allowed to leave campus. They might be gone for some time.
It turned out they were going with one of the secretaries to the nearby National Guard armory, and were drinking and fucking some of the guardsman. These were 15 -1 7 year old girls.
11. A prof from our small community college was shot and killed by his son with a crossbow. Also some high school wrestlers waterboarded another student, and all they get was a suspension from a wrestling match.
12. I wasn’t from there, but I was living in township when the Dee Dee Blancharde case happened: a woman with Munchausen’s by proxy medically abused her daughter to persuade the community that the daughter had terminal everything. The daughter played along until her internet boyfriend came and butchered the mommy. Gypsy Rose is apparently adjusting very well in prison.
13. An ex- friend of mine from high school beat his nonverbal autistic 5 year old son to demise and hid the body. It will be a year next month and they still haven’t found his body.
14. We had a serial killer that murdered multiple women, and seemed to dump them in the country off 7 bridges road. He’s suspected of killing at the least 10 women.
15. A pizzeria and a convenience store blew up approximately one year apart from one another in the 90 s. No one charged but basically every local my age or over knows who did it.
16. When I was in grade school my best friend’s mommy and her friend were murdered by allegedly her boyfriend but nobody ever found out because he dipped. Anyways, he ended up dumping the two women in a creek next to a road that my bus drove on to go to school. Needless to say the entire bus was traumatized and we didn’t make it to school that day.
17. The city I live in a husband and wife raped and murdered a bunch of people including some of their own kids, then buried them under the house.
18. At some church about a mile from my apartment back in the early 2000 s there was an investigation because a kid came home from church camp missing the tip of her thumb. Turns out the pastor( or whatever Baptist churches have) and his buddies were running a child sex ring/ Satanic church in the cellar of the church. By the time they caught all the guys involved the church had paid someone to keep it off the news channels but not the news papers.
They find blood stains on the floor, pentagrams cut into the hardwood floor, semen on the floor in another room. Local rumor said they found the words for Satanic chanting in a periodical, a torn up Bible, and a Quaran with a volume mark but of course the church leaders had that kind of talk stopped. 2 of the men were found guilty but not for child molestation( just for the finger tip missing) The others walked free and the church population dwindled.
19. Not in my current township, but the last town I lived in. Fella there killed two little girls, said God told him to do it. After a ridiculously short sentence( less than ten years for torturing, rape and murder of two kids ), he moved right back into his old home. He still live here and lives an invisible, ghostly life. Everybody obviously knows his name but everyone acts like he isn’t standing right next to them. I used to work in the pharmacy, and the rule was to take his prescriptions out of the drawer and set them on the counter without actually recognise his physical presence. The coffee shop across the street knew his order and would just get it ready and he would put change on the counter. Sometimes I would find stuff like this happen and start to feel sad before I remembered he murdered two children.
20. Cheating husband came home to find out his wife knew. Fight ensued, he stabbed her and fled. She illuminated the house of flame as she was dying with their three kids inside asleep. He then hung himself in jail after being arrested before his trial.
21. There’s a long, singular nature road the runs through my town and several others. A couple of years ago, a 14 year old girl named April Millsap was stalked and beaten to demise right off the trail. The human who was convicted maintains trying to appeal so it keeps it fresh in everyone’s minds.
22. Local boys raped and murdered a girl years ago and dumped her body in front of the high school. One of the sons was the sheriffs son. They managed to pay off the girls family and sweep it under the carpet. Those boys are now prominent members of the town.
23. The police chiefs daughter caught her husband cheating on her. Took a firearm, killed her 5 month old baby and herself.
They kept in well under wraps but it happened. Its this thing no one talks about but everyone knows happened.
24. A while back, a girl I graduated with wanted to break up with her boyfriend, and the boyfriend get pissed and killed her. He took her body, put it in a trunk, and drove the car out to a random place in the city and left her there in the trunk. He get busted not too long after and is in jail.
25. There was a kid who murdered his grandmother down the street.
26. A guy who’d been convicted of pedophilia get out and went home. Half the neighborhood turned out to unwelcome him back. Trapped inside, he came up with an escape scheme. He set his own home on fire( with himself inside) and called 911. There was a large heating oil tank attached to his home, and if it’d gone up it would’ve lighted off the whole neighborhood. So he got quick emergency response to bodyguard him out of the situation. But he wasn’t in good shape when they dragged him out.
27. Apparently there was a 9 hour shootout in my old home township yesterday.
28. Music teacher in my elementary school molested several students, probably over the course of a few years. As I recollect, students talked about it, but he remained our educator for quite a while, and didn’t even get convicted until four or five years ago.
29. Lorraine Bobet cutting off her husbands penis and then throwing out the window while she fled, then the cops having to go look for the severed penis, received it in the field next to a 7-11. They then took it inside the 7-11 box put it in one of their Togo hotdog receptacles with ice!
30. Small neighborhood in Las Vegas Nevada. Serial pedophile gets jumped several times by angry/ paranoid parents. One day though, they plot to kill him late at night. They break into his home at like 3 am and start another oppose. He got away with a broken arm and several cracked ribs. When asked by police, everybody clammed the fuck up.
31. The ice cream guy was a drug dealer on parole. Apparently you could get” extra toppings” if you knew how to ask. I believed people were pulling my leg, until he was arrested outside of a high school.
32. A mobster went missing after murdering a police chief in another state in 1980. He was suspected of returning to township at some point as his wife lived in the area, but despite find his vehicle at a nearby hotel the instance went cold.
In 2017, the FBI threatened his wife’s son( his stepson) with jail time over questionably legal gambling machines, and managed to get her to spill the beans to protect her son. Her husband hid out in her suburban home in a” secret room” hidden behind a closet in the cellar, until he died of natural causes in 1999. She then interred his body in her backyard. The FBI had her home under surveillance throughout the 1990 s but never managed to get enough evidence for a search warrant.
The case was one of the first was noted by America’s Most Wanted, and the guy was on the FBI’s top 10 most wanted listing for two decades.
33. I live in a town of about 700 in rural Oklahoma. We’ve got one restaurant in township and it went up in flames last weekend. At first, everyone was pretty sad and did everything they could to help out the family that owned the restaurants sector. But now there’s a rumor going around that the owners define the building on fire themselves to collect insurance policies payout. It’ll be interesting to see how the narrative develops over the next few weeks.
34. There’s still an’ unsolved’ assassination. The whole town and most of the next district knows who did it but no one will come forward. It was a terrible story- teenaged girls faded while in plain sight. Seriously- from the middle of the town, in a place where you got a phone call because your 17 year old kid was strolling down Main Street, what was he doing there? You couldn’t blow your nose there without 20 people reporting the next day they saw you do it. There’s only one genuine suspect- it truly was kinda a done deal but ….. no arrest.
It’s a weird, weird place anyway. 1/100 th uber wealthy, the rest poverty level. This suspect was from the 1/100 th of population groups, the whole family owned half the town for generations. Suspect’ remains at large’ although comfortingly was mysteriously beaten up a few years ago. He’d strolled into a bar and made a joke about the missing girl.
Case was on one of the TV indicates asking for help solving it, there were billboards put up by her family for years and it’s still a major source of scandal. Dirty secret indeed.
35. Not precisely a small town, about 100,000 people, but one of the local high schools has an unusually high quantity of sex offences.
About 8 years ago, a coach killed himself days after being questioned about whether he had an inappropriate relationship with a student.
About 2-3 years after that, a female educator was arrested for having an explicit relationship with a student.
About 2 years after that, a wealthy man in the area was received running paying numerous high school daughters from a few schools for sex, with at least one daughter being from this school.
And just just a few days ago, another educator was arrested for possession of child porn.
This is all at one normal sized school( not the district, merely the wealthy guy incident involved other schools) in less than ten years.
36. My mom’s hometown. The local gyno was sticking his dick in instead of the metal thingy and basically having a good ol’ hour molesting unsuspecting girls. Luckily my gma knew of the rumors about him and never took her daughters to see that physician. Others were not so lucky.
37. There’s a girl from my township that was kidnapped and saw 29 days later. Kidnapped by three men who did some horrible shit to her. Her mama has really tried to push it for publicity, and she is going to be on the Dr. Phil show soon. She goes to my high school, and she always appears so sad. The sad thing is because her parent is using her for publicity, she will never have a normal life without people knowing who she is. I feel so bad for her, she’s such a sweet daughter who has gone through too much.
38. This happened literally on Monday. A auto, a large truck and a motorcycle were involved. Motorcyclist was looking at his phone on a dual carriageway, crashed into the back of a truck, truck was so busy seeming behind him that he hadn’t realise he was about to hit a taxi. It was a fucking calamity. 4 people were involved; 1 survived. The whole front half of the taxi was literally flattened. Nothing this major has happened in our town since we’ve been living here( almost 7 years ). The whole motorway was patently closed and we got home about 30 minutes late. There must have been about 25 police car there, and even an air ambulance was there. I’ve never seen anything like it. People are still is speaking to it now. People who don’t even live in my town are talking about it.
39. One of the teachers that worked in my school invited young sons to sauna and raped them.
40. We have a human built pond, three dead bodies floated out of that bitch.
Read more: thoughtcatalog.com